Saturday, April 14, 2007
Gotland...Rocks Walls and Blue Skies
By far the best part of the trip. This island off the west coast of Sweden really took my breath away. Visby, the capital used to a mighty trading port in the Viking era during 9-11AD. The city is surrounded by a stone wall to protect itself from attacks. The wall is largely intact but parts of it are crumbling. It gets better beyond the walls. We drove for miles on the roads with endless fields of grass on either side. All of a sudden, we see a church in the distance, the only tall building amidst the endless field. I looked at the tombstones in the church cemetry, some had yellow and red flowers. We drove Northwest. The road leads to the sea. Red wooden houses stand along the coast. Some boats are lying around. Further ahead I see a towering cliff. We drove further up along the coast towards Faro. The road ends in a deadend. We bashed through some vegetation by foot. We are now standing on rocks. They are grey and flat and measure about 8cm in diameter. I see rock formations about 500metres ahead in the sea. The formations are huge and jagged. They twist and turn with the clear sky as a backdrop. The blue sky merges with the sea in the horizon. I can't really tell where the sea meets the sky. I hear nothing but the sea and the wind.

Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
4172 looks like something out of Nat Geog =)
hey man, you really should stop tempting me by posting pics taken by your DSLR... hehehe
Talk about National Geo quaity pics! You really got a good eye Duan. I can almost feel, taste the air there. Great photos. all the best with the bike expedition. Have camera will travel too.
Post a Comment